Skip to main content

This lesson isn't so Bloggable

One take away from reading Nate's post yesterday was that perhaps I need to blog more about my average (or merely passable) teaching moments. Perhaps I will receive some awesome feedback and I'll be able to upgrade these average days to awesome? Or perhaps I'll just be putting forth a more complete version of my teacher identity, demonstrating that I don't "operate in a bloggable state at all times." Honest, real blogging will surely bolster the mtbos, though it adds the whole surplus of blogs problem...

Nonetheless, here goes:

Recently I overheard kids chatting in the math department with their computers open. To my delight, they were sharing their math blogs with one another and discussing their favorite posts. Funny enough, several of them shared that their favorite was the concept summary poster on the different forms of a linear equation. I created this particular assignment because I wanted them to clarify all three forms of a line. I also wanted them all to have different posters, so they used two points generated from birthdays.

My criticism of this assignment is while they are creating a colorful summary, there isn't a tie to the real world. Finding the slope between two random dates doesn't have any meaning.

So, how could I improve this? I still want them to be able to show unique functions in all three forms, but I would like it to have connections to something more real world or invite inquiry. 

Here is the prompt:


Use this blog post to explain key concepts of chapter 5:
You will write your own linear equation and show it in all forms.
You will use an equation editor like Daum, an online graphing tool like Desmos and an online poster tool like google drawing, mural.li, "poster my wall" or Glogster. If you end up using other tools, let me know what you use so I can share new information with your classmates.
  1. Come up with your equation by starting with two points.
                         Your first point will be determined by your birthday:
                         x = the month of your birth and y = the day of the month of your birth
                         Your second point will be determined by your mom or dad’s birthday (pick one).
                         x = the month of parent birth and y = the day of the month parent birth
                         *** If you parent was born in either the same month or same day, then either use the other parent, or a sibling,  or increase the # by 1. No vertical or horizontal lines allowed!
2. Write your two points as ordered pairs.
3. Find the slope, showing the sub-in step in Daum. Save the image.
4. Write your equation in point-slope form and label it as such in Daum. Save the image.
5. Write your equation in slope-intercept form and label it as such in Daum. Save the image.
6. Write your equation in Standard Form and label it as such in Daum, Save the image.
7. Use Desmos to graph your equation and label the x and y intercepts on the graph. You can label the intercepts by adding a table to the pane on the left hand side and then clicking on the points on the graph. Save the images.
Save all elements as pictures. I suggest you put them all in one folder.
Make an online poster of all of these elements and embed it on your blog. As always, creative title and a 1 - 2 sentence intro on your blog post before the poster to inform your readers what this post is all about.

Here are a few samples:

Julia

Angie

Jordan

Comments