Skip to main content

Orientation Day

I accomplished most of my to do list for the day:

  • Acquire ID Card and magic sticker for free museums
  • Print paper for Ethics Class
  • Find classroom
  • Read more for Ethics
  • Buy coffee
  • Avoid cheese
I did not

  • workout at the gym
  • write the paper due July 1
  • read enough for Ethics
Orientation consisted mainly of introductions and clarifications. It was helpful to have the day just to get the lay of the land.

Once home, I settled in with Dewey and Montaigne. Here are a few quotes that spoke to me:

"With respect to sympathetic curiosity, unbiased responsiveness and openness of mind, we may say that the adult should be growing in childlikeness." - Dewey
"Growth is regarded as having as end, instead of being an end." - Dewey
"Education means the enterprise of supplying the conditions which insure growth." - Dewey
"Spewing up food exactly as you have swallowed it is evidence of failure to digest." - Montaigne
So far the reading is both intense and interesting. Reading about education as continued growth sure helps me feel good about choosing to go back to school.

My cohort.

The building.

The places I can go for free with the magic sticker.

The view from my sublet.

Comments